Our Tools programmer Mickaël put together a tool to let you more easily set up and run a dedicated Conan Exiles server. After a few rounds of iterating we wanted to make this tool available to you guys for testing and feedback. We also made this walkthrough to, hopefully, make the tool easy to understand.
Please post any feedback you have about this tool in this thread so we can improve it.
- Quick Overview
- General Configuration
. Server Settings
. MULTIHOME Mode
. Mod Manager
. Rcon (Remote Console)
- Network Configuration
. Port Forwarding
. Crew Boutique Swimsuit J Top Boutique J xqt7wCH5q
. The Dedicated Server Launcher is crashing/exiting
. Players can’t see the server
. The server is super slow
- Victoria's Secret Top Boutique Swimsuit Swimsuit Victoria's Secret Boutique HzxfPwgwq
. Disk space
. Do I need to keep the Dedicated Server Launcher running at all time?
. Outlet Promotion Outlet Promotion Gap Promotion Gap Promotion Outlet Gap W8p1xUSnAq
. Long Round Fashion Letter Neck Sleeve Sweatshirt Comfort Cotton Printed Eq6qg
. Importing configuration
. Mod updating
. Errors ’ entry point ?IsAlive@CThread@@QEBA_NXZ could not be located’
. Playing on the same machine
. Source code
. Xbox and PS4 servers
- Release History
The Dedicated Server Launcher is a small utility program designed to make it easier for players to run their own Conan Exiles Dedicated Server. Please don’t be scared by the length of the guide - we’re just being thorough!
Common hurdles this app helps with are:
- Deployment of server updates by transparently calling SteamCMD without having to deal with command line parameters
- Deployment and update of mods from the steamworkshop
- Providing a simplified user interface to easily edit the core parameters required to get a server visible for other players (name, passwords, region, player limits, etc.)
- Providing easy to copy-paste parameters to simplify the configuration of the router or internet gateway (as well as check if the server can actually be reached from the internet)
- Providing easy access to the game server logs and configuration files
Here is what the tool looks like when it’s running:
The installation is fairly simple!
Right now, you need to download the DedicatedServerLauncher.exe program from this link 66.
At some point, the tool will become available as part of the game client.
Current version: 1.0.15 (released 03 September 2018)
Download this app to your machine. Ideally, the file should be in its own folder on a disk with enough space to host the unpacked SteamCMD installation and associated game server (about 2 gigabytes at the moment).
Then, you just run the program and edit the parameters you want, save the changes, and hit the switch. Everything should start running smoothly!
NOTE: Upgrading to a new version is just a matter of having the new executable at the same location as the old one, they should be compatible. So in case you encounter an issue with a more recent version, just go to the history section and download the previous one.
The Server Settings section of the UI allows you to modify the critical parameters of your server without having to actually run it, including which branch, name, region, and passwords you want it to use.
- Regarding the Branch: Please make sure you are using the same Branch as your players, and with the same installed version
- The Server Name will appear in the server browser, so try find something descriptive but reasonably unique!
- The Server Password is optional. If you omit it, then anyone will be able to connect to the server
- The Admin Password is what you use with the “MakeMeAdmin” command in the game to access the Admin Control Panel
- The Player Count defines how many players can be running the game at the same time, this has a direct impact on performance: Your Core 2 laptop with a 5400 RPM hardrive and 4 gigs of ram will most probably not run 40 players very smoothly - if at all.
You can easily share the connection information with your friends by clicking the “Copy Connection Information” button. This is what the copy/paste would look like:
Name: My server is really awesome IP: 195.410.28.64 Password: 9112 Code Version: 98222/17925 (default branch)
If you want to run multiple servers on the same machine, each of them need to be in a separate folder, use a different set of ports, and have the router/modem correctly route the external port to the correct local port on the computer running the servers.
(Similarly, if you want to run a game server and a game client on the same machine, they should be using different ports, if you keep the default ports 7777 and 2715 the first launched executable will lock the ports, and the other will not be able to access them).
How this works:
The “Game Client Port” and the “Steam Query Port” are now editable, and their content get saved in the Engine.ini:
[URL] Port=7777 [OnlineSubsystemSteam] GameServerQueryPort=27015
A new “multihome” checkbox has been added. When disabled, the server launcher behaves as before, but when enabled it copies the IP of the currently selected adapter in the network list and uses it as a command line parameter when launching the server (eg: -MULTIHOME=195.410.28.64)
How this works:
A new UI element has been added, allowing the user to enter a list of mods they want to run on the server.
The “Mod List” entry accepts two types of values
- An actual numerical value like ‘860241645’ or ‘1422434062’ (which are the workshop identifiers on steam for ‘PauseOnEsc.pak’ and ‘ServerCore_hades.pak’)
- A full path pointing to a PAK file present on the user computer
Note: For convenience, the edit field has been tricked out to detect when the user pastes a link from the Steam Community page: If for example the user pastes ‘https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1382120864 151’ the edit field will only copy the ‘1382120864’ part of the link.
Note: The “light” bulbs is not 100% fool proof, but if it turns red there’s definitely an issue, possibly the path to the PAK file cannot be accessed, or you have non numerical entries.
When you are done adding the mods, remember to press Save Changes.
When starting the server, the system will as usual run SteamCMD to check for any updates, but it will also try to update any of the numerical ids mods (it will skip any of the local ones referenced by path), and when the update is done a brand new “modlist.txt” will be generated in the ‘conanexilesdedicatedserver\ConanSandbox\Mods’ subfolder.
You can validate that the mods are correctly found by the server by looking at the top of the servers logs where you should see something similar to this:
The DedicatedServerLauncher stores the information about which mods to install in the ServerSettings.ini file in a new ‘DedicatedServerLauncherModList’ entry:
The only supported Rcon feature so far is the ability to broadcast messages to all your connected players, but it should make it easier for you to setup the server to use any of the other Rcon clients.
You can read more about it here: https://conanexiles.gamepedia.com/Rcon 73
Note: RCON is using TCP for communication, not UDP, so be careful when doing the network configuration
The auto-restart functionality uses the following UI elements:
- A menu option in the preferences to allow the tool to automatically start with the computer session
- A checkbox which defines if the auto-restart is enabled or not
- A checkbox which defines if the tool should restart the server in the events it stops by itself
- A 24 hours time selection control used to define the time of the day when the server will restart (default is 6 AM)
- A 24 hours time selection control used to define the minimum uptime of the server before a restart (default is 2 hours)
The rationale for the uptime is that if for some reason you had to do some maintainance on the server, change some settings and restart it, you probably don’t want the system to restart it a couple of minutes or hours later just because that was the planned restart time.
You can also use the three warming messages to automatically send a message to all the connected players:
- Rcon needs to be enabled (with a valid password, port, etc…)
- The time is the number of hours or minutes relative to the expected restart time
Note that since the delay accepts up to a 24 hours range, you can creatively use the feature to inform your players of regular events, advertise things, etc… the only limit is your imagination and the amount of bugs you may find when playing with it.
Remember: The message sending feature requires Rcon to be enabled!
When enabled using the checkbox, the tool will make sure to make a copy of the most important files each time the server got shutdown (automatically or not), which should allow you to revert back to a usable state if for some reason something broke.
Each backup is stored in a separate folder with a time stamp for the day, containing subfolders for each restart happening that day, and contains the gamedb file, the last log file, and the three ini files usually modified by the tool (game, engine and server settings).
You can use the limiting option to only keep a certain number of days.
Note: There was a typo in the naming of the option in version 1.0.13, so if you had set-up the backup trimming option and update to 1.0.14 or later, you need to re-enter the values.
The biggest hurdle when trying to set up a game server is to be able to access the internally hosted machine from the outside world.
By default, your networking equipment and software (routers, modems, ISP, and firewalls) are trying to protect you from the outside.
When trying to run a server, it means that you need to inform all these protection layers that you do wish to receive network packets coming from specific sources on specific ports. You also need to inform these systems about which of your machines should receive these packets.
This is called “Port Forwarding”.
Setting up Port Forwarding may differ based on the models and brands of routers and modems. However, they all use the same basic model where you select some input ports and redirect them to some specific machine on your internal network.
For example, here is what it looks like using AsusWRT (on an Asus RT-N66U):
Note: One important thing to keep in mind is that the three main game ports (Game Client, Raw UDP and Steam Query port) are using the UDP protocol while the Rcon port requires TCP.
Velvet Coat Zippered Long Warm Hooded Longline Sleeves Pockets Plain with Technically speaking, you do not need to set up static IPs on your network to have the system working.
It is, however, possible that if you reboot your server machine or for some reason need to reboot your router, the game server may receive a new IP address. This address could be different from the one you have set up for port forwarding.
You can generally assign a fixed IP on your local network by selecting a specific network card (generally identified by its MAC or Hardware Address) and assign to it the IP number you want.
You can use the information provided by the Dedicated Server Launcher “Networking” part to copy the network card address into your clipboard.
Longline with Zippered Plain Long Sleeves Hooded Warm Velvet Pockets Coat If despite everything you still cannot get through, make sure that you do not have a firewall somewhere configured to block everything.
IF you are having problems, please check this list:
- Check if there is anything strange in the DedicatedServerLauncher*.txt log files
- Check if there are some crash dumps (.dmp files) in the folder
- In any case, we are interested in hearing about that, so please let us know here on the forums.
- Do you get three green lights if you click on “Test Port Accessibility”?
- Are the players using the same branch as your server (default / testlive)?
- Are the players using the same version as your server (one could be updated and not the other)?
- How bad is the “System Load” in the status bar at the bottom?
- Have you setup some exclusion rules for your antivirus so it does not spend its time scanning the server file?
- Have you installed the server on a fast disk drive?
- Does the server have enough memory?
- Have you checked your internet’s speed (Ex: https://fast.com/ 69)? And that nobody else on your network is using up bandwidth at the same time?
A: At this time, the server install uses about 1.8 gigabytes. We recommend at least 2+ gigs to be safe, as this accounts for your game database and log file sizes increasing, and such.
A: No, the Dedicated Server Launcher is just a helping hand, that’s why the SteamCMD and Game Server windows are fully visible outside the UI: You can close the launcher as soon as your server is running.
(That being said, the automated server restart features will only work if the tool is running.)
A: The Dedicated Server Launcher is using the game server .ini files (in with Zippered Hooded Sleeves Warm Plain Longline Velvet Coat Long Pockets ConanSandbox\Saved\Config\WindowsServer) to store everything it needs, there are no other configuration files or registry parameters.
A: As long as you make sure that the Launcher, SteamCMD and the game server are not running, you can rename the folder, move it to another drive, or even move it to another computer (remember to check the network accessibility). You can also copy the entire folder for backup.
A: Sure, just copy/overwrite the ini files, dbfiles, logs, etc… from the other server folder, it should just work™
A: Only the ones entered as numerical workshop identifiers. The ones you downloaded manually and put in a folder will not be updated.
A: If your mods stop being updated, and SteamCMD displays error such as ‘\src\common\contentmanifest.cpp (650) : Assertion Failed: !m_bIsFinalized’ then you are probably victim of the SteamCMD bug which has been reported by many people for many games.
Some people are saying that deleting the appmanifest_xxxxx.acf in the steam apps folder fixes it, but some other people are reporting that the fix did not work for them…
A: If you receive this error (The procedure entry point ?IsAlive@CThread@@QEBA_NXZ could not be located in the dynamic link library) when starting the server, it probably mean that that Steam client is running.
If you shut down the Steam client, then run the server, the problem should not happen. You can restart the Steam client after that and it should work fine.
It’s obviously something we should try to fix, but apparently it happens with other Unreal based game servers, so that may not be trivial to fix.
A: It used to be possible (using the -nosteam command line option), but in the current state it seems that the Game Server steam integration is conflicting with the game itself.
A: Most probably not: Technically there’s nothing confidential or very important in the tool code itself, but it relies on decades of code developed for multiple projects, including some third party code we would not be allowed to release. Sorry.
A: We are unfortunately not allowed by game console publishers to release server executable to the public. (I guess they probably fear that they could be hacked and allow people to play online without having the right subscription level.)
1.0.15 (03 September 2018)
- The “Copy Connection Information” has moved to its own large Clipboard icon in the bottom left
- In its place is now a “Don’t auto-update Server and Mods” which should skip the call to SteamCMD next time the server restart.
Dedicated Server Launcher 1.0.15 66
1.0.14 (27 August 2018)
- The ‘DedicatedServerLauncherBackupTrimmingEnabled’ and ‘DedicatedServerLauncherBackupTrimmingLimit’ are now correctly having two ‘m’ to the Trimming word (so if you used 1.0.13, please revalidate the parameters)
Dedicated Server Launcher 1.0.14 27
1.0.13 (22 August 2018)
- Added an option in the Preferences Menu top enable the auto-start of the launcher when the session logs
- Added a menu option with a direct link to the forum thread
- The Backup structure has been changed with a subfolder for the day, containing multiple sub-folders, one for each restart (to make it easier to diagnose problems without polluting the main folder)
- Added an option to optionally limit the number of backup folders to keep: This only applies to the day folder
- Added the possibility to run some arbitrary script or executable before starting a server
- Added the possibility to automatically restart the game server if it stops by itself (bug or crash or other event)
Dedicated Server Launcher 1.0.13 4
1.0.12 (08 August 2018)
- Fixed incorrectly initialized timer controls on new installs of the system
- Added the missing Rcon port testing (TCP port)
- Modified the port tester to use the current values used in the UI instead of the ones saved
Dedicated Server Launcher 1.0.12 895
1.0.11 (07 August 2018)Crop Tank Ribbed Plain Neck Round Down Buttons Sleeveless BqZ0XwU
- The log files should now be cleanly stored in their own subfolder instead of polluting the main installation folder.
- Added a startup check to validate that there is only one Dedicate Server Launcher handling each specific game server installation
- Added a basic backup functionality: After stopping the server, the tool will copy important files (game db, last log file, game/engine/settings ini files) to the backup destination in a separate sub-folder
- Added some basic Rcon setup to allow users to easily change the ports and passwords, as well as broadcast messages to all connected players
- Added the possibility to send messages to the players automatically at a pre-determined amount of time before a server restart
Dedicated Server Launcher 1.0.11 76
1.0.10 (03 August 2018)
- Moved some of the information (operating system version and uptime) to the status bar at the bottom to free up some space in the UI
- Moved the SAVE button to the bottom right of the UI (over the START/STOP button)
- Added a RESTART button (under the START/STOP button)
- Added some information to the log file to indicate when the server stopped or started
- Added an auto-restart feature that allows users to define a time of the day when the server should be restarted (as well as a minimum uptime value so you don’t get the case where you just restarted your server after some maintenance and then it auto-restarts just after)
Dedicated Server Launcher 1.0.10 110
1.0.9 (01 August 2018)
- Removed the minimum size limit for the server name (it will accept less than 10 characters long - displayed yellow) and turn green after that
- Reworded the ‘Validate Server Installation’ by adding ‘At Launch’ to make it easier to understand it’s a SteamCMD deployment option
- The log window should now correctly continue scrolling past the line 3792 (also called “oops”)
- The UI can now be resized vertically so more lines of text can be seen in the log
- Exposed the NetServerMaxTickRate option in the UI
Dedicated Server Launcher 1.0.9 467
1.0.8 (05 July 2018)
- Fixed the problem with the server region value not initializing correctly in the UI (for some reason the parameter is called “serverRegion” instead of “ServerRegion” and failed to be found by a case sensitive search)
- Modified the network settings part of the UI to allow for multiple network adapters having multiple IP each.
- Removed the DHCP and Gateway information - it’s mostly useless for this tool, and at best, confusing for the users.
Dedicated Server Launcher 1.0.8 2.4k
1.0.7 (03 July 2018)
- The two main game ports (default 7777 and 27015) can now be modified and saved.
- The server can now optionally be started in MULTIHOME mode using the IP address specified in the currently selected adapter.
- The launcher now only scan for running server processes in its own sub-directory - this means you can run multiple servers on multiple ports - as long as they are in distinct folders
Dedicated Server Launcher 1.0.7 1
1.0.6 (02 July 2018)
- First implementation of the mod manager: It’s now possible to pass a list of mods (either ids or actual paths of the pak files on disk) and the tool will generate the correct modlist.txt
DedicatedServerLauncher 1.0.6 7
- Plain Zippered Hooded with Pockets Sleeves Longline Long Coat Warm Velvet 207
viewsNeck Dinosaur Sleeve Tee Round Printed Sequined Short TUwqZ1xZO
Coat Sleeves Long Zippered Warm with Pockets Velvet Longline Plain Hooded likes
There are 207 replies with an estimated read time of 59 minutes.